Junk removal prices
This guide will give you a general idea of the cost of junk removal in the United States. JunkGator puts you in touch with local full-service junk removal teams, so if you need junk hauling away, house cleanout, office cleanout, bulky item removal and more, you’ve come to the right place.
Junk haulers listed on our platform can provide the following services:
- Free, no-obligation quotes for junk removal
- Removal of junk (bulky items) from your property
- Full and partial house cleanouts
- Garage, attic, and office cleanouts
- Waste removal
- Trash removal
Finding cheap junk haulers near you shouldn’t be a hassle. That’s why our network of over 500 junk removal teams operating across the United States continues to grow daily, providing customers with great value for money and assurance that each and every JunkGator member is committed to providing honest, competitively priced quality services.
|Sep 23, 2022||Trash bags (no hazardous waste) loaded into a 7x14x4 trailer (full load). The price includes the labor, tax, transportation expenses.||A-1 Hauling and Junk Removal||Wichita, KS||$499.00|
|Aug 15, 2022||Demolish and haul away a galvanized metal shed. Approximate dimensions: 8 (L) x 10 (W) x 6 (H).||Caution Junk Removal LLC||Richmond, VA||$300.00|
|Aug 03, 2022||Patio dining set (4 chairs with cushions, 48” round table with glass top, 7’ umbrella with stand).||Junk Express Junk Removal||Escondido, CA||$80.00|
|Jul 29, 2022||21 large boxes filled with broken down boxes and wrapping paper.||Patriot Hauling||Tupelo, MS||$75.00|
|Jul 26, 2022||Removal of a love seat and large recliner.||Wally’s Wares LLC||La Crosse, WI||$60.00|
|Jul 10, 2022||Haul and dispose of a large sectional couch from inside property.||HTX Junk A Haulics||Humble, TX||$140.00|
|Jul 04, 2022||Pick up and dispose of a standard couch and a recliner.||HTX Junk A Haulics||Pearland, TX||$175.00|
|Jul 03, 2022||Remove one large computer desk station approximately 59.5 inches wide and 55 inches high.||DFW Junk Haulers LLC||Fort Worth, TX||$125.00|
|Apr 26, 2022||Hot tub removal, we cut it in half and hauled it off which took the team 1 hour to complete.||Dino Junk Removal LLC||Greenville, SC||$375.00|
First and foremost, the prices you can expect to pay for junk removal in the United States can vary widely depending on a wide range of factors. Therefore, all prices listed are general estimates and do not necessarily reflect what you will be quoted for junk removal in your city or state.
What’s the difference between junk, trash, garbage and waste?
In the US, we sometimes mix up terms like garbage, trash, waste, and junk. Semantics matter when it comes to the collection and disposal of each of these, so below is a brief overview of what we mean for each:
- Garbage: originally used in 16th century Britain to refer to parts of an animal not eaten, such as heads, tails, and feet of animals. In American English, the word is now used to refer to wet or organic waste from the kitchen or bathroom that decomposes relatively quickly. Examples include coffee grounds, fruit & vegetable peels, eggshells, and chicken or beef bones.
- Trash: in old Norse, tros means “fallen leaves and twigs,” but today’s word ‘trash’ normally means dry things that are thrown away and which decompose rather slowly. Examples include paper, cardboard boxes, twigs, grass clippings, and broken furniture.
- Junk: things that are useless and/or worthless to you (but may hold value for someone else, e.g. junk cars) and need to be discarded. Junk can often be used interchangeably with trash, but often junk can be refurbished or reused by someone else. Consider the saying “one man’s junk is another man’s treasure,” which is a little less common than “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”
- Waste: a catch-all term for unused or unwanted items. Normally when we use the term waste in reference to waste removal, it’s understood that we’re talking about things like hazardous waste (paints and solvents, batteries, asbestos, pesticides, etc.), and toxic waste (lead, mercury, asbestos, clinical waste from syringes and medications, etc.).
- Rubbish: much more commonly used in Britain, rubbish is useless waste or anything we discard or reject. In the UK, rubbish means garbage/trash (as we call it in the USA).
- Refuse: a formal catch-all term for anything thrown away or discarded.
Refuse collection and disposal in the United States
Now that we’ve defined some of the commonly used terms, let’s have a look at how different types of refuse are managed in the United States:
- Garbage/trash removal: most cities and counties have a sanitation department or waste control department that will operate garbage trucks to pick up garbage and trash from the curbside of your property.
- Junk removal: Garbage men won’t haul away bulky items and household junk in the garbage truck, but some cities and counties offer a junk pick up service every season or every few months to collect and haul away junk like mattresses, furniture, and appliances. The best way to remove junk from your property is to hire a junk hauler near you.
- Waste removal: hazardous/toxic waste and construction debris cannot be collected by garbage trucks, and many junk haulers cannot or will not haul these substances away. Some qualified and trained junk haulers can pick up hazardous waste and building waste, so always ask your preferred junk removal company if they are able to remove these types of waste before hiring them.
- E-Waste disposal: computers, laptops, cell phones and other electronics must be disposed of safely. Electronic waste (e-waste) disposal costs vary, but most junk haulers will be able to dispose of electronics safely and in compliance with e-waste regulations.
- Organic waste removal: garbage and organic yard waste like tree branches and grass clippings can often be composted at home. Yard waste can sometimes be hauled away with curbside pickup, depending on your city or county, but often you’ll need to pay to have it hauled away by reputable junk haulers near you.
How much does it cost to haul away junk in the United States?
The cost of junk removal services in the United States varies by quite a lot, but on average Americans were spending about $230 for junk removal in 2021. The typical range of prices for junk removal in the US goes from around $100 all the way up to around $800.
How does junk removal work in the United States?
Your city or county most likely offers curbside garbage and trash pickup services, so check their website for more information about what they can and cannot take. For junk that the city/county won’t pick up, you’ll have to either find a way to haul it away yourself for recycling or to the landfill or you can let a reputable junk hauler come pick it up.
Junk removal businesses in the United States are booming, mostly because as Americans we love to consume and throw away so much stuff! But not all junk removal companies provide the same quality of service or fair prices, so it pays to shop around a little for affordable, reliable junk removal services near you.
Get quotes before choosing
Don’t take your chances with rogue junk haulers. You know the type (well, hopefully you don’t): they show up late, maybe they bump some furniture into the wall, charge you way more than you were hoping, and who knows, maybe they dump illegally to save a few bucks. Not worth it.
Always choose a junk hauling company that is reliable, affordable, and offers quality services. JunkGator lets you request no-obligation quotes from junk removal companies near you, anywhere across the United States.
Dumpster rentals vs junk removal services
Dumpster rentals can often be a good choice for tossing away lots of junk over the course of a few days or a week. For roofers, renovations and demolitions crews, they just make more sense than hiring a junk hauler since they’re continuously tossing away building waste and materials. For most other cases, however, they’re simply not worth it.
In terms of cost, a dumpster costs about $400/week; plus you’ve got to consider that you may need to obtain permits to keep it on your property (or on public right-of-way) and your HOA may not even allow it.
Landfill dumping fees
There are costs associated with dumping at your city or county landfill, so it’s often best to either recycle, compost, or donate unwanted items whenever possible. Responsible eco-friendly junk haulers will also try to do this (with your permission, of course) because it saves them money, which means the savings are passed onto you.
When landfill dumping is required, the average national cost was $53.72 in 2020 for an average load. In the Pacific and Northeastern states, the cost was significantly higher at $72.03 and $68.69, respectively.
Keep in mind that specific items have their own surcharges, such as refrigerators, freezers, pianos, air conditioners, tires, and e-waste.
Waste removal services
Specific items like fluorescent lightbulbs, batteries, and items containing mercury cannot simply be tossed into the garbage bin. For hazardous and toxic waste, you should always ask a reputable junk hauler near you if they are able to handle these types of waste.
The cost of hazardous and toxic waste removal is normally charged by the pound (for liquids and chemical waste) or per item, normally $1-$10 per item.
What affects the price of junk removal in the United States?
- Location: junk removal tends to cost more in states like New York, Washington, and California than it does in Georgia, Oklahoma, and Florida.
- Demand and season: students moving out at the end of the year can cause spikes in demand and seasonality can affect how much junk haulers charge.
- Date and time: evenings, weekends, and holidays might cost more than during normal business hours.
- Gas prices: high gas prices and long distances to travel to your property and then to recycling centers and landfills will drive up costs. Look for knowledgeable local junk haulers to drive down costs and save on emissions.
- Landfill fees: some counties and states have much higher landfill dumping fees, specifically the Northeast and Pacific states. These costs will be passed onto you, the customer.
- Type of refuse: hazardous waste, e-waste, mattresses, and appliances will all cost more than recyclable junk, organic waste, and household garbage, for example.
- Quantity of refuse: many junk haulers charge by the cubic foot, cubic yard, or by the truckload. Full truckloads cost more than an almost-empty truck, for example.
- Labor requirements: it takes two to move a piano or other heavy, bulky items. The more labor and time required, the higher the cost will be.
Average junk removal prices in the United States
Estimates vary significantly for junk removal prices in the United States, but to give an impression, the national average is about $230 for junk removal services. In terms of volume, the average cost of junk removal is about $1.50 per ft3.
More specifically, a light load (¼ full truck or 1 cubic yard) costs about $80-$100 whereas a half load (2 cubic yards) costs around $250 and a full load (3.5 cubic yards) costs about $400-$450 to haul away. Keep in mind that one full truckload is equal to about 5-6 loads on a typical pickup truck.
Variations in national costs range from around $100-$800.
Specific junk removal price examples
Below are some rough estimates of how much specific items cost to remove in the US:
- Household appliances: $60-$200
- Mattresses: $40-$120
- Furniture: $100-$600
- Tires: $5-$15
- Hot tub: $300-$600
- Piano: $200-$300
Frequently asked questions about junk removal in the United States
How much does it cost to have someone remove junk?
Paying someone to collect and remove junk from your home or business will cost anywhere from around $100-$800, depending on your city and state, how much junk you need removed, what type of junk, labor requirements, and on the time and day you need it removed.
How do I get rid of junk for free?
There are many ways to get rid of junk for free, such as refurbishment, donating to charity, turning it into artwork, composting organic matter and selling salvageable junk online. Disposing of junk costs time and money whether you do it yourself or if you decide to hire a reliable junk hauler in your city or county.
How much does it cost to cleanout out a house?
House cleanouts cost around $22 per cubic yard of ordinary household junk and debris. For an entire house, the cost varies widely, from around $1,000 for a smaller house up to $5,000 for a large estate. It’s best to request a free quote before hiring anyone and to always choose a reputable house cleanout company.
Is JunkGator cheaper than dumpster rental?
Member partners listed on JunkGator charge their own rates for junk removal services, so it’s best to request a no-obligation quote before choosing your preferred junk hauler. Compared to dumpster rentals, junk removal teams are often cheaper and more efficient at hauling away junk. Dumpsters are often ideal for construction, demolitions, and renovation work.